Wednesday 6 February 2013

Bengali girls should know how to cook

It's a lot harder than it sounds.

Girls like me have never had the need to enter the kitchen. There's always someone else around to cook the food and definitely heaps better than we ever could have. If it's not the maids, it's your mum; if it's not your mum, it's your grand mum; if it's not your grand mum, it's your aunt; if there's no one else, it's your dad. If you're alone, there's always takeout!

I keep thinking about opening a cookbook, buying the ingredients and finally cooking myself (and maybe others) a meal. But I realised how unnatural it feels to look at the kitchen, let alone enter the kitchen. Plus when I'm in there I always have someone or the other breathing down my neck- one of the maids, never family- and that's just when I go in to look for food, not even to cook.

I don't cook unless I need to. For example, when Diya fell ill I cooked her "sheddho kolaa" and I've made tea multiple times. I make good tea.

Yes, yes, I know what you're thinking. She's pathetic!

In this regard, I am. It's truly miserable. Even Drona's learning how to cook in his Hotel Management course! And he's a boy. It doesn't matter how good a surgeon I become...I will always be considered a "goono-heen meye" if I don't learn how to cook, clean, sew, darn, knit, crochet, etc. and be able to dance and sing half-decently.
My husband won't love me if I can't cook him cuisine at home. Men are so hard to please. Neel's gonna want posto- the ADDICT! It's his favourite dish.

Urgh! I'll try making Maggi-pasta tomorrow. I have all the ingredients at home anyway. Let's hope I actually enter the kitchen and do it. Believe me, that is the real challenge- forcing myself to do something I don't yet need to (or want to) do. But better learn now before it's too late....and I kill my family with food poisoning. 

3 comments:

  1. ooo...maggi pasta means the ready-to-cook one??
    and who is Neel and Jhilik?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No no...i used maggie noodles and added the cheese, chilli flakes and herbs separately. I haven't tried the maggi pasta but I've heard it isn't that good. No offense, if you like it :P. Neel is my boyfriend who lives in Delhi and Jhilik is a good friend who lives down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i don't like maggi pasta!it insults the cheesy and tasty pasta.

    ReplyDelete